Replacing windows in your Hall home is a big job and a significant investment. The job and the money, of course, have significant benefits in the end, such as improved home comfort, lower energy bills and increased home value.
But how do you know when it is time for replacing windows?
Your home will start to show the signs that it needs new windows when it is time, here's what to look for:
- Age: Manufacturers assign a life span to their windows; you can check the warranty for details about your windows' life span. However, experts also offer advice on the typical life span for windows. According to the National Association of Home Builders, window glazing lasts 10 or more years, aluminum windows last between 15 and 20 years, and wood windows can last upwards of 30 years.
- Comfort: Does your home feel drafty near windows? Do you notice a strong breeze moving through your home coming from the direction of the windows? This breeze can make it unpleasant to gather in rooms, and it often means the seal and insulation around the windows has failed.
- Pane: Do you have old, single-pane windows? These do little to keep the heat inside your home during winter, and the heat out during the summer.
- Workability: Do you have trouble opening or closing windows, or are the screens damaged? This can be a sign that your windows are past their prime.
- Noise: Good windows also keep outside noise levels down. If you're noticing traffic noise or hearing children playing outdoors when the windows are closed, it's probably time to replace them.
- Remodeling: If you're remodeling your home, or even one room, this is a perfect time to also upgrade the windows.
- Condensation: Do you see condensation between the window panes? This is a surefire sign that windows are failing and is often an indication that the windows are compromised.
For more information about the timing of replacing windows, or to hire an expert to handle the job, contact Findlay Roofing today!