When looking at a house, the first thing we see is the roof, be it aesthetically or for the protection of that house. It is vital in determining how energy-efficient your home is through the different climes in a year. Georgia experiences a humid subtropical climate, with most of the state having short, mild winters and long, hot summers. With such a climate, you must have proper attic ventilation to help you serve and protect your home.
What is Attic Ventilation?
Attic ventilation is the process of allowing your home to breathe. By breathing, we mean allowing warm or cold air inflow, depending on the weather. They are in two distinct categories: active and passive types.
Purposes for Attic Ventilation
Here are some purposes why attic ventilation is important.
- Removing moisture: When outdoor temperatures drop, heat and moisture increase in our homes. It shows in the form of condensation on our windows. The steam is carried there by air and, if unable to escape, increases the internal temperature inside the house. Without proper ventilation, moisture on roofing nails in attic results in nail and deck rot and allows mold to grow.
- Ice Dam prevention: During winter, cold air comes in through the basement and rises through the house into the attic. In Georgia, when it snows, the snow melts off a roof as the temperature goes up and re-freezes at the gutters, causing an ice dam that can damage the roof. If the attic isn't well-ventilated, it stores it all up, leading to rot and mold. Attic ventilation and knowing the proper roofing procedures allow more warm air from the house to deliver moisture to those cold surfaces as that air leaves the house.
- Attic ventilation helps keep your attic cool while preventing air leaks between your house and the attic.
Benefits of Attic Ventilation
- It helps reduce indoor temperature extremes because, without proper attic ventilation, the hot air rising to the roof cannot escape, and this is not conducive during the long, hot summer months in Georgia. It helps Prolong the life of your roof by preventing damage from temperature fluctuations and moisture.
- Reducing energy costs by helping maintain more consistent indoor temperatures. When a roof is well-ventilated, extreme heat cannot build up within the house as hot, moist air escapes, which cuts down on the excess cost of air conditioning and reduces your energy bills.
- It prevents mold and mildew growth that results from condensation. This is also where the roof moisture barrier comes in handy, as it prevents moisture from moving up and seeping into the air beneath your home. Attic ventilation helps keep your insulation dry.
- It reduces the risks of damaging ice dams in the winter months and generally prolongs the life span of your roof. Attic ventilation reduces heat buildup during the summer and ice dams (moisture buildup) during the winter. Regular roof moisture scan in Georgia are advised as they help detect any anomalies and carry out roof repairs.
The Impact and Efficiency of Attic Ventilation
Roof vents maintain proper air circulation in the attic, which is especially important in climates with extreme temperatures. In regions with heavy snowfall, such as Georgia, roof vents aid in reducing the weight load on your roof. Proper attic ventilation allows warm air to escape and cold air to enter, reducing the chances of snow melting and re-freezing. This process elongates roof life while reducing the possibility of damage brought about by excessive snow and ice accumulation. In the summer, roof vents are responsible for expelling hot air from your attic space. It is very beneficial as it helps reduce energy costs and lowers the average internal temperature inside your home.
How well your roof vents perform is influenced by certain conditions, such as:
The surrounding environment
The prevalent weather conditions in the area.
Is it a new or old house?
Since its inception in 1995, we at Findlay Roofing, with our team of experts, have taken it upon ourselves to give homes around Atlanta the best roofing they deserve. We are a reputable company and offer various services, from roof replacement and attic insulation to commercial roofing services. Contact us today to get all your home projects started.