Roof damage to your Fulton home should be addressed right away. But not all signs that a roof is damaged are as clear-cut as finding some shingles on your lawn. Missing shingles are a surefire sign your roof has sustained wind or storm damage. However, there are some other lesser-known signs homeowners should become familiar with to mitigate damage.
If you suspect your home has suffered from hail, wind or storm damage, you should call a roofing expert and request an inspection. In order to confirm roof damage, the pro will need to get up close and personal with your roof. The task is not only dangerous, and one that homeowners shouldn't take on, but it generally requires an expert eye.
Here are five signs your roof is damaged:
- Flying shingles. Do you notice that some shingles are missing from the roof and have you perhaps seen a few shingles flying through the air and landing in the yard? This is an obvious sign that your roof has been damaged. Strong winds or heavy rains dislodge shingles, leaving the roofing underneath exposed. Eventually, the unprotected roof will lead to moisture making its way through the structure, causing rotting and mold problems.
- Hail. After a storm, if a roof has sustained hail damage, homeowners can usually assess the roof's condition from the street. Shingles that have incurred significant damage will looked pocked or bruised.
- Overflowing gutters. While not a part of the roofing system per se, when a roof sustains damage and shingles start losing granules, these granules make their way into the gutters. Eventually, the debris will stop the flow of drainage. If you begin to notice that the gutters aren't draining properly, the roof might be the source of the problem.
- Inside damage. If you can see water damage inside the home, on the ceilings directly beneath the attic, or on walls, it may be a sign that your roof has sustained damage over the years.
- Sagging. If your roof sags, take notice. This significant problem indicates that the structure is taking a beating and that moisture has penetrated through the roof and the wood structure is rotting.
Immediately call a professional roofer after you identify one of these five problems. Do not try to fix these issues yourself.
The experts at Findlay Roofing will come to your home and find the root of your roof damage. Do not hesitate if you have an issue, just give us a call today.
Image Source: Flickr