Have you heard the phrase, “a dime a dozen”? Well, that adage doesn’t hold true when it comes to roofers. Without the proper qualifications, almost anyone can hang a sign and call himself a roofer. And he can look the part too, with a tool belt, some shingles, and utility vehicle.
You’ll be out of a lot dimes if you hire just any roofer. A shoddy job on your Alpharetta home roof can mean a leaky covering, damage to your home, and repair costs into the thousands. Avoid unnecessarily spending time and resources on fixing a bad roofing job. Instead, spend the time to carefully vet roofers in the area, and make a wise choice.
Hiring a roofer
Here are some questions to ask a potential roofer:
- Do you have a business license? Georgia requires that roofers hold a license. You can check the status of the roofer’s licenses though the Licensing Board website.
- Do you have proof of tax identification and a physical business address? You should never work with a roofer who doesn’t operate a business locally. Out-of-town roofers offering specials is one of the most common roofing scams. The contractor will take your money without performing any work.
- Do you hold worker’s compensation and liability? This insurance coverage protects you should a work accident occur on your property.
- Do you have references? One of the best ways to vet a roofer is to talk to customers with whom the roofer has worked. Ask references about the quality of the job, the responsiveness of the contractor, and their overall satisfaction with the services. You can also check the Better Business Bureau to see if customers have filed a complaint against the roofer.
- Do you offer any guarantees? Even with reputable roofers, it’s possible for things to go wrong. In this case, it’s good to have a guarantee for the workmanship and the materials.
- Will you outline the terms of the work in writing? Never agree to a roofing project without a written contract that covers the length of the project, the costs, etc.
The friendly experts at Findlay Roofing are happy to answer your questions about our qualifications and work experience. Just give us a call today!
Image Source: Flickr