With roofing trends changing and various roofing materials and solutions to choose from, customers often have questions about roofing terminology. You aren't alone if you've ever heard a roofing term and wondered what it meant.
Take the term "parapet wall." It might call to mind medieval fortresses, but a parapet wall is a fairly common roofing solution used in many home styles and locations.
What is a Parapet Wall?
A parapet wall is an extension of the wall at the edge of a roof, terrace, balcony, or other structure. They are typically low or medium height and offer a blend of functional and aesthetic benefits to a building. Parapet walls come in various design options, ranging from simple and unadorned to intricately detailed, harmonizing with the main structure's architectural style.
Why Install a Parapet Wall?
Traditionally, parapet walls served as defensive structures. Modern settings' primary function pivots towards ensuring safety and enhancing aesthetic appeal.
- Safety: Parapet walls act as guard barriers on balconies, terraces, or flat roofs, preventing accidents and falls. They also delineate spaces effectively, providing visual and physical borders ensuring safe and functional usage of these areas.
- Aesthetics: Parapet walls, especially flat roofs, lend a finished look to buildings. They can be designed to complement the building's architectural style, enhancing its overall aesthetic appeal. Parapet walls flat roof designs often contribute to a modern, sleek look.
Challenges with Parapet Walls?
Despite the advantages, there are challenges associated with parapet walls, mainly due to their exposure to weather elements. Being exposed on three sides, they are susceptible to weather-induced damage over time, requiring regular inspection and maintenance to address issues like water stains, cracks, or detachment.
Maintenance of Parapet Walls
Maintaining a parapet wall is crucial to ensure its longevity and functionality. Due to its exposure to weather elements, a proactive maintenance approach is advisable.
- Regular Inspection: It's vital to have regular inspections to detect any signs of wear or damage early. This includes looking for cracks, water damage, or any loose materials that may have become dislodged over time.
- Cleaning: Keeping the parapet wall clean from debris, moss, or algae will prevent blockages and potential water damage. It's advisable to clean your parapet wall at least twice a year or more frequently, depending on the climate and environment.
- Repair: Prompt repair is necessary when damage is detected. Whether it's a small crack or a larger issue, addressing problems early can prevent more extensive and expensive repairs in the future.
- Waterproofing: Ensuring your parapet wall is adequately waterproofed is crucial to prevent water ingress, which can lead to structural damage. Applying a waterproof coating or sealant is a preventive measure that can enhance the durability of your parapet wall.
Increasing Energy Efficiency with Parapet Walls
Parapet walls can also contribute to a building's energy efficiency. They provide an additional barrier against wind, helping to reduce drafts and heat loss, especially in cold climates. Moreover, in warmer climates, a well-designed parapet wall can provide shading, reducing the amount of solar heat gain and aiding in keeping the interiors cool.
How to Modernize a Parapet Wall?
Modern parapet wall design has evolved to include various materials and styles, ensuring a fresh, contemporary look. Here are some suggestions:
- Modern Materials: Modern parapet walls aren't confined to traditional materials like cement or wood. Utilizing modern materials like glass, metal, or composites with sleek design features can lend a minimalist yet stylish look.
- Design Elements: Integrate distinctive design elements into your parapet wall to reflect your home's unique aesthetic. Incorporating tilework, brickwork, or other textural details can turn the parapet wall into a design statement.
- Play with Shape: Experiment with different shapes for a distinctive appearance. Curved or geometrically designed parapet walls can add a touch of modern elegance to your home.
Interested in installing a parapet wall in your home and wondering if it's the best choice? At Findlay Roofing, we can answer your questions and give you options. We're excited to help you create a modern parapet wall that fits your budget and design choices. Contact us today to get started.