Roof problems. Two words Clayton homeowners never want to hear. While full-blown roofing issues are costly to deal with, it’s possible to ward off problems. With a little knowledge and expert help, you can avoid large, expensive roof repairs.
Get to know the five general areas where roof problems occur:
- Flashing: This metal material is generally installed on areas of the roof where joints meet or connections are made between the chimney and roof. If the flashing is damaged, punctured or comes loose, water will leak through the roof.
- Gutters: These nifty drainage systems are designed to wick moisture away from the home, just like high-performance material wicks moisture away from the body. However, the gutters are prone to produce a build up of debris and even plant growth. As build up occurs in the gutters, water can back up onto the roof, causing mold and mildew problems.
- Shingles: Over time, shingles can become damaged by weatherization or improper installation. Missing granules, curling, buckling or discolored shingles are often signs of problems below – with either the underlayment or wood structure rotting.
- Fascia: This is the pretty-looking board that runs across the front of the roof line. Designed to protect the roof from moisture, the state of the fascia usually indicates if problems are afoot.
- Soffit: The wood underneath the roof overhang is a haven for animals and insects. If holes, cracks or rotting appears here, there could be problems elsewhere in the roof, too.
If you suspect that your roof is experiencing issues and you’d like to have a professional assess it, contact Findlay Roofing. We’re happy to help with all of your roofing needs, including roof replacement and roof repair, or gutter and window installation. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and get in front of roof problems.
Image Source: Flickr