With so many roofing companies to choose from in Atlanta, how do you find a good one? Although the state of Georgia does not requires a roofer to have a license, there are still a number of things you can do to make sure you hire a reliable and trustworthy Atlanta roofer.
Check the Business History and Practices of an Atlanta Roofer
The first thing you should do is make sure you hire a professional roofer to work on your home. Your roof is not a good place to try to save a few dollars by hiring a “handy” friend or relative that “works cheap.”
Instead, do some legwork to verify that the Atlanta roofing companies you are considering are professional and well-established businesses. Here are some essential things you should do to evaluate any Atlanta roofing business.
- Confirm that the roofing company has a permanent business address, phone number and tax I.D. Number.
- Verify that the roofer has been in business for at least five years. A bad Atlanta roofing company won’t survive many Georgia thunderstorms before they are out of work.
- Insist on receiving copies of the company’s liability insurance policy and workers’ compensation policy. Make sure these policies are in effect throughout the completion of your Atlanta roofing project, so you do not have to be liable for any injuries/damages that may occur while your new roof is being installed.
- Insist on receiving a written proposal that clearly defines the roofing project scope of work, provides details on the roofing materials that will be used, includes complete and final price information with a payment schedule, and establishes start and completion dates.
- Evaluate more than one, preferably, at least three roofing companies to allow yourself a chance to compare bids and businesses. If you take the time to do your homework, you should be able to understand why the prices vary and determine which Atlanta roofing company is providing the best value to you. In roofing, as in other industries, you often get what you pay for.
Check the Work Quality of an Atlanta Roofing Company
Once you have identified some credible, professional Atlanta roofing companies, you should check the quality of their work. Here are some ways you can evaluate the work done by an Atlanta roofer.
- A good Atlanta roofer will have no problem providing plenty of references, so ask for recent and older/past customer names, phone numbers and addresses. Call and visit as many as you can to see the roofs and ask the client’s about their experience working with the roofing company. The newer customers will provide good insight on the quality of recent roofing work, while the older customers will give you an opportunity to see how well the roofs have held up over time.
- Ask for a copy of the roof warranty and limitations. Read the warranty carefully to make sure the roofing company stands behind both the quality of the roofing materials used and the quality of the workmanship.
- Contact the Better Business Bureau to check the status of the Atlanta roofing contractor under consideration.
- Determine if your Atlanta roofer has active memberships in regional or national roofing industry associations. Being active in organizations such as the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA), for example, suggests that a roofer is keeping their knowledge about newer roofing materials, equipment and roof installation methods up to date.
Resources for Investigating an Atlanta Roofing Company
Now that you know what to look for, here are some useful links for getting the answers you need before you select an Atlanta roofer to work on your home.